Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By btidey
#71302 As mentioned many of the good low threshold devices are in smd packages.

One method would be to use the little adapters that can be got cheaply on eBay. These could be prepped up with the SMD components already in place and then allow them to be easily soldered by the kids.

For example,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50pcs-SOT89- ... SwYXVYy4BZ
By Sucram
#71312 Yeah, I've seen some discussions regarding the IRFZ44N discussing this, it just seems to work, but I'd hate to get a bunch of these from a cheap source, just to find out these particular ones won't work reliable with 3.3v.
Thanks, I'll consider the IRLB3034PbF then, or the SMD parts.
TIP120: I've used it in the past, hadn't even thought of it! I suppose I was worried of the base current required for transistors, but as it's a darlington pair, that would work... Just never used these with 1/1.2A before :-)

@btidey: Thank you, that's an awesome idea!
Though it means I will have to prepare & solder 40-80 of these or so beforehand :-) Should be possible though.

Any recommendation on other (SMD) Mosfet? I found the on Aliexpress (suprisingly few results) but my local dealer does not seem to carry it. Not that it's a big deal, just curious.

Thanks again for all the advice, my electronics-fu is a bit rusty and 20+ years outdated :-) Just trying to make a few fun projects.
By btidey
#71340 I'd endorse the AO series as a suitable choice. I use the AO3400 version which has has a slightly lower Rds and a slightly higher Id max (5.8A), but the actual max current may be reduced a bit by thermal considerations. They are available super cheap on ebay.

As these are SOT-23 you would need the adapter to handle that layout if using that method.