Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By rew
#14851 From the picture it looks as if you have an LM1117 like LDO. In the variant that can provide about 800mA.... Continuous.

Your ampmeter will smooth out current draw of a measurement of about 0.25 to 0.5 seconds. So you're measuring the average, not the peaks.

My measurement indicates "about 800mA". This could very well be 600 or 1000mA. THAT is not important. What IS important is that you say "about 120mA" and the difference with the "about 800mA" that I'm measuring. I'd like to know if you've just got enough capacity on your 3V line to last the packet transmit, or that my ESP is drawing much more than yours.

(On the backburner is using the 3V line as a voltage reference. With 1ms droop-periods, that would not be acceptable.... ).
By trackerj
#15002 When measure something, methodology makes the difference. It's a big difference between instantaneous, average and RMS value of something measured. For example, seeing on your Oscilloscope screen a high spike value for 10ns and calculate a corresponding value of 10A doesn't mean your current requirement is 10A!

I know, probably you will tell me that Ohm Law is the same but I consider HP34401A a more appropriate device than a Oscilloscope to properly measure current requirements and validate some data.

Data from above post were obtained for my specific application were a I2C MCP9808 temperature sensor is read every second, a webserver interface is created, 1 client is connecting thru web browser and refresh webpage every 5 seconds. Same Data is also send every 10 seconds to thingspeak.com.

Your specific application current requirements might vary. I still consider the 1A quite big but who knows, I am really looking forward to see a decent datasheet for ESP8266.

Anybody out there can help with some decent documentation to solve the mistery?
By villTech
#15015 my first esp8266 were 3pcs esp-01. back then i still power esp module with 3.3v supply.

1 from the 3 esp-01 i have can run ok (server / client) with 3.3v supply from original arduino micro which is rated to supply 50mA current only. other 2 units cant even boot up.

then, i got a lot of modules that act differently with different power supplies. so i stopped doing proper power testing and just dont bother with power rating.

since then, i never take the ratings provided by manufacturer seriously. that is why all my esp modules now are running 5v supply. :D :D :D