Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By Minozar
#25321 I didn't understand.
What the difference between the AA in series and the 9v battery ?

Thanks for the "Adjustable" thing.

Is it normal that, when I connect the ESP to the 5v Arduino UNO pin using the LD1117AV33, the ESP is 'hot'. And on the Serial 'screen' appears sometimes something like "busy . . .".
By martinayotte
Minozar wrote:I didn't understand.
What the difference between the AA in series and the 9v battery ?

Having 4 AA batteries will give 6V average.
Dropping that 6V to 3.3V with a LD1117AV33, will give ~50% efficiency, and ~50% heat.
It is better than with 9V, but still not enough for me, this is why I've mentioned the DC2DC solution.

Minozar wrote:Thanks for the "Adjustable" thing.

You're welcome !

Minozar wrote:Is it normal that, when I connect the ESP to the 5v Arduino UNO pin using the LD1117AV33, the ESP is 'hot'. And on the Serial 'screen' appears sometimes something like "busy . . .".

Disconnect it before it get burned ...
Are you sure that LD1117AV33 is connected correctly and give 3.3V at the output ?
Do you have any voltmeter ?
By Minozar
#25324 Of cours I disconnected it. ^^
Hmm.. The ESP est connected to the Arduino GND and the 5v UNO pin. But between the VCC esp and the 5v UNO, there is the LD1117AV33.

I think I have one. I'll test the output voltage between the LD1117AV33 ans the ESP module.
I read on others topic that the "busy ..." could appears because of the ampere delivred by the 5v pin Arduino (about 200 mA) and the ESP module can needs until 350 mA .

But.. This isn't the reason for the ESP being 'hot', is it ?

EDIT : I used a voltmeter and it's ok. There is 3.3v delivered. But the ESP is still hot. But maybe it's normal. My wifi key is 'hottest' than the ESP. Maybe he should heats a 'little' ?
Last edited by Minozar on Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.