Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By starkeeper
#6112 I would add one point to the confusion list: Is SDIO just a 4-Bit SPI? Everyone is speaking of SPI, will the SPI-SDK also contain a SDIO implementation? In my opinion SPI is to slow for most applications and a 4-Bit SDIO must be supported.

Please allow me to correct you, there are ready to use wifi-modules on the market, which support SPI and SDIO: http://www.hd-wireless.se for example the SPB104. They are available and very well documented, but I had to pay ~50 Euro (as consumer).
By kajtusize
#42596 Any update or success from someone? It's more than a year from the last post, I'm trying to run the SPI slave but I can see it's in the same place...
By KevinA
#55390 On another post I had told someone that his wiring was wrong since he was using the Slave SPI port to talk to a BME280, what I didn't know was the Slave thing is more than confusing. A couple of posts ago a user posted
"Their internal Chinese thinking expressed outward in English causes the trouble" I worked on a Rockchip project that failed because what they said they would provide and what was provided were not the same, you can't program a register if you don't have it's address or what goes into the register and why. After 6 months we gave up and moved to another vendor, in the US. It cost more but we completed the project and got paid.

The latest SDK is suppose to support SLAVE SPI on the HSPI pins.
If the ESP8266 wasn't so 'affordable' I wouldn't keep coming back every 6 months to see if they have something that is workable, all ready ordered a couple of ESP3212.