Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By akohlsmith
hackrid wrote:tinhead has some nice docs regarding this topic on his 1drv.

I've been all up and down those docs; that's where I gleaned the information I have. I'm very thankful for his work thus far. I need to go over the driver source, the logical information (SPI protocol/registers etc.) are probably loosely described there.
By hackrid
#651 as far as i can tell, the availiable sources dont cover the esp8XXX side. The firmware for the wifi chip is provided as binary blob (large arrays in .h files)
maybe we can find the sources for this somehow?
By Squonk
#654 Yes, the sources are for the Linux driver only, which first download the firmware over SDIO before using the Espressif chip as SDIO WiFi.

But I wonder what are the real differences between the ESP8266(EX) and the ESP8089?
By jonsmirl
#658 Looking at the Rockchip source.... my guess is that an ESP8089 and a ESP8226 are almost identical, but they have to different ROMs on them. ESP8266 ROM is designed to boot off from flash and use code from the flash. ESP8089 ROM is designed to work without any flash present.