Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By kevirek
#57671 Hello, first time poster here :)

I've been trying to get my ESP8266 running using an FTD1232 USB-to-TTL converter. So far I had no luck using 9600 and 115200 as baud rates and found some tutorials on the Web that suggested 76800. This actually was a little step forward but not much farther, as it seems I'm only seeing RX from the chip, which somehow kind of glitchy by the way, leading me to think that something must be wrong with the serial port configuration. I am also unable to achieve any sort of TX in the terminal window, not even plain echo.

Please see attached screenshot of my terminal window after resetting the chip with a rising edge on the RST pin, especially the bottom line.

How do I find the default baud rate of my chip and setup my serial port to have a functioning TX/RX connection?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By BRV64
#75853 I'm having the same issue
I get these errors at this baud rate 76800

ets Jan 8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(1,6)
ets Jan 8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(1,0)
ets Jan 8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(1,7)

I think that some chips just come bad.
By rudy
#75854 How are you powering the ESP module? The FTDI chip's 3.3 volt output is not adequate. If that is what you are using then supply the ESP with a suitable power source.
By btidey
BRV64 wrote:I'm having the same issue
I get these errors at this baud rate 76800

ets Jan 8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(1,6)
ets Jan 8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(1,0)
ets Jan 8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(1,7)

I think that some chips just come bad.

It is much more likely there is something wrong with how you are using them, e.g. how they are powered or decoupled as Rudy says.

I have used over 40 now (from different suppliers and with different flash chips) and not had one failure.