Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By rutierut
#8062 I just wanted to post this here for everyone to see because I had a lot of trouble with this. If you are having trouble uploading your lua files, gettig no response from your esp, etc. there's a good chance that this is caused by your power supply. If your using a USB to serial converter it's power might be enough for a esp-01 but you are going to need a dedicated one for a esp-12 for example. They don't have to be expensive, they can be found for as low as a dollar on ebay, they plug straight into your breadboard and can switch between 5 and 3.3 v.

Edit: be sure to connect the ground connections or you'll end up with some really weird things on your serial monitor
By MeNoGeek
rutierut wrote:If your using a USB to serial converter it's power might be enough for a esp-01 but you are going to need a dedicated one for a esp-12 for example.

Could you please elaborate on that? Why is #12 more demanding than #01?
By sej7278
MeNoGeek wrote:
rutierut wrote:If your using a USB to serial converter it's power might be enough for a esp-01 but you are going to need a dedicated one for a esp-12 for example.

its bullshit. and well known that usb-to-serial adaptors don't provide enough power, its in practically every thread on this forum, but still people don't listen
By rutierut
MeNoGeek wrote:

I have no idea but I can use my #01 without any problems using the power from the adapter, and flashing firmware to the #12 was no problem either.