Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By Tosog
#9414 Hello everyone!

Yesterday, my first ESP8266 arrived. I was so excited!

I've connected the ESP8266 directly to an USB TTL (http://www.ebay.at/itm/321504039146?ssP ... 1439.l2649) using this wiring:
3.3v => 3.3v
GND => GND
TX => RX
RX => TX
CH_PD => 3.3v

and then i tried the "AT" command and then .. nothing happend :(
Then i tried to flash different firmwares, a 0.9.5.0 AT Firmware, an older 0.9.2.2 AT Firmware, the nodemcu firmware etc.. For this, i've connected the GPIO 0 to GND as stated in several how-to's. The flashing tool worked without any problems, it could read both mac-addresses and the firmware could be loaded to the module. Of course, i've disconnected the GPIO0 pin from GND.

I have tried different baud rates, different terminal programs (putty, arduino-built-in, ssom32 and even on a linux machine using screen and minicom). One time only i saw the welcome message when booting, but when i tried to reboot the module, nothing happend. Occasionally i saw the ESP-xxx AP in my wlan list and when i connected the RESET pin to GND, the blue light on the module and the "RX" light on the USB TTL was blinking for a very long time. Rarely i could read some data, but it was not human-readable. ( I also tried using different baud rates..)

I have also tried to connect via the Arduino (using a voltage devider for the module's RX pin), but even the example code did not work:
Code: Select all#include <SoftwareSerial.h>
SoftwareSerial dbg(10, 11);
void setup() {
  dbg.begin(9600);
  dbg.println("hi there!");
  pinMode(13, OUTPUT);
  Serial.begin(115600);
}
void loop() {

Serial.println("AT+RST");
  delay(1000);
  if (Serial.find("ready"))
    dbg.println("device ready");
  else {
    dbg.println("not ready");
  } 
  delay(2000);
}

is my new ESP8266 defect? I'm 100% sure i did not mess up the wiring. I've double and triple checked the wiring before powering the module on :(

please help, i can't wait to start hacking :(
By platforma
#9420 Also bear in mind that if you've flashed one of the latest firmware binaries, the AT commands neet to have both carriage return AND line feed to terminate the command, the setting in serial terminals usually called "CR,LF" as opposed to "CR" or just "LF".

If you're using minicom or picocom the correct option is, for example:
Code: Select allpicocom --omap crcrlf -b 115200 /dev/buspirate

When printing via arduino serial try doing: println("AT+RST\r")
By Tosog
#9425 Hello,

thank you for your answers. I have tried it with \r but still no success :(

and yes, i sometimes see activity when i'm resetting the module and i have also tried an external 3v power supply with 700mA (i saw pictures with 2AA batteries so i thought 3v should be enough)

There's one thing i forgot to mention, i thought it was unimportant, but it might explain it:
When i've received the parcel, the 8 pins were bended and they even sticked out of the parcel (it was an envelope with air buffer). I have straightend the pins but maybe a circuit path or one of the pins from the chip might be broken? My eyes aren't good enough for that, even with a magnifying glass.. :)