Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By raz123
Tosog wrote:Arduino Mega 2560

That works fine for me.

1. On the Arduino, put a wire between the RESET and GND pins (this disables the atmega mcu).
2. TX0 (Arduino) goes to TXD (ESP)
3. RX0 (Arduino) goes to RXD (ESP).
4. GND (Arduino) goes to GND (ESP).
5. 3.3V (Arduino) goes to VCC (ESP). Be careful with this one, as the current might not be enough for some operations. I use 5V (Arduino) -> Regulator (3.3V) -> ESP. Some feed it from the 5V pin without a regulator.
6. CH_PD (ESP) and RST (ESP) are connected to VCC (ESP).

You should now be able to speak to the ESP using any application, up to 115200 baud. As you can see, I'm feeding it directly 5V on the communication lines. While it is discouraged to do so, I haven't had any issues, yet. ESP-01 here.
By Tosog
#10164 Hello raz123,

thank you very much. I think i have missed to connect RST to VCC. All how-to's and startup guides do not mention that RST needs to be high, they only say to connect it to GND for reset.

It's stable now :) at least the new one. The first one has still problems. It's sending weird data for about 2 minutes after powering it on and there's no response after that. But thats ok.
By majob11
#10166 Try to use 9600 Baud rate and 8n1 protocol to talk to your 8266. check cablesettings in the driver tab and terminalsettings on your host (PC).
Did you connect the pin named CH_PD to 3v3 when you try to communicate ?
GPIO_0 Pin to 3v3 (vcc) too - if not it could do a bootstrap instead to go to normal wifi function.
I would really recommend you to use an CAP or batteries , because if you have small glitches in the VCC the Chip
will reset ! You find a cap in every old electronic device !
look carefully - and + (its an polarized part) !!

if this all not working , test the FTDI cable. you can cross rx and tx and see a echo in terminal.
some cheaper cables are crap and do not work properly.

Cheers