Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By JimInWoodstock
#70377 I purchased several of the 8285 DOIT ESP-M3 modules from Aliexpress. I cannot find a way to program them. I have programmed many 8266 boards and several Sonoff basic modules with success. I cannot find a way to get these modules to enter program mode. I have tried all the ways that I know with zero success. Does anyone have experience with these modules?
By QuickFix
#70456 I don't own or know any of these DOIT modules, but maybe you can find your answer on their Wiki-pages?

I would say, the programming of these modules would be identical to any other 8266, since they're advertising them as: "Fully Compatible with ESP8266". :?
By JimInWoodstock
QuickFix wrote:I don't own or know any of these DOIT modules, but maybe you can find your answer on their Wiki-pages?

I would say, the programming of these modules would be identical to any other 8266, since they're advertising them as: "Fully Compatible with ESP8266". :?

They are fully compatible with the 8266 as far as the code in concerned. Getting the board into "programming mode" is not compatible. I have tried all my procedures that I know of. I have around 8-9 8266 boards around here that I program with either on on board USB or a FTDI USB converter. All program without problems.
Using the ftdi on the DOIT modules, which is required since they don't have the onboard USB, has been a flop. From what I read, there are some differences in setting up a 8285 and a 8266 board in getting them to upload a program.
In the wiki page, they don't even list the ESP-M3. I have sent a inquiry to them request some programming info for that module.