Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By gruv2ths
#10020 Can we confirm that ESP-12s come with some version of firmware on them?
Can't tell if I am doing something wrong or is there something wrong with the chip?

I have tried a few different pin configurations on the ESP-12 (CH_PD tied high and GPIO floating for example) but can't get anything out of the chip. I can see from a scope that 3.3V logic is going into the ESP-12 but that is all, nothing out. So therefore nothing in the serial window.

Would love to see someone say which pins to bias to program, then which pins to bias to boot up normal.

Also what does that blue LED do?

THANKS!
By Toshi Bass
#10027 I have a hand full of ESP8266-12 none of them came with any firmware so they all needed to be flashed, the easiest way to explain what needs to be connected is to refer to the pin out attached, so always have a 1k resistor from gnd to gpio15 + 100k resistor from vcc to CH_PD, I was advised to ignore the 10k and 0.1uf capacitor connected to REST unless I had boot problems (which I don't have) and to flash, connect from gnd to GPIO 0 - after you flash in the firmware remove this link and remember to reboot or reset or it wont work, also remember rx to tx , tx to rx and a gnd to gnd between the ESP and the 3v3 serial converter. hope it helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By gruv2ths
#10099 Thanks everyone for your replies.
Toshi, so i did like you suggested, and now the LUA firmware programmer can read the MAC addresses, but crashes just as it begins writing the firmware. Same with the stock SDK programmer, it erases the memory ok, then cant write.

Did your stumble like this at all?

Thanks again!