Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By centigradz
#73613 Hello everybody,

I'm studing ESP8266 specs and i haven't wrote a single line of code (yet). What i want to do is to capture the exact rising and falling time of a signal within 10-20 nanoseconds resolution. I have done different experiments with arduino uno and due, but as you know the processors on those boards are not fast enough for the job.
What i thought to do is to configure the interrupts on the ESP to capture the rising and falling edges and timestamp them with the systick (using the processor cycle count). So, i'm curious to know if its possible to reach the precise timing i need with the 160Mhz processor of the ESP-12E and if it's possible to configure the ESP to fire the interrupt without any delay?

Thanks in advance,
Bilhan.
By stephenhawking
#73646 What I need to do is to catch the correct rising and falling time of a flag inside 10-20 nanoseconds determination. I have done distinctive analyses with Arduino UNO and due, however, as you most likely are aware the processors on those sheets are not sufficiently quick for the activity.
By btidey
#73774 Not feasible in my view to do this directly on an ESP8266. You are talking 2-3 CPU clocks even at 160MHz. The ESP8266 also has a slower internal IO bus and you have some uncertain latency into getting into an ISR if you were going that route.

You should explain a bit more on what you are trying to measure to see if there are other approaches.