Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By Raihaan
jarnoldbrown wrote:Which flavour of Arduino are you talking about?

Arduino Mega 2560 - I have tried to trace the RX and TX pins but they don't seem to go anywhere but the ATmega2560 - how does the ESP interface as a serial port when the ATMega is held in reset?

The converter in my case is the CH340g.
By rudy
Raihaan wrote:https://dzone.com/articles/debugging-arm-cores-with-ip-based-debug-probes-and

On this tutorial, the RX/TX output is 5V - how can the ESP8266 handle it?

I couldn't find anything with an ESP8266 from that link. Could you update it if it has changed?

I have powered the ESP-12E with 5 volts (accidentally) and it worked. But just because it worked doesn't mean it is good for the device. I'm sure there are people that use it that way and it does work for them. But I wouldn't risk doing it since it doesn't take much to lower the 5 volt TX level to 3.3 volts.

I have done resistive level shifting this way, and sent the 3.3 volt TX signal into a 5 volt microcontroller TX input. It worked for some units but it was marginal. We had a production run and I had to put in a level translator to give the 5 volt logic what it needed.