Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By rudy
#76140 I guess I was wrong about having a 3.3 volt regulator on the board. I was using the 3.3 from the USB to serial converter.

Most of what I currently have is header pins connected to each of the usable pins. I bussed some ground and 3.3v pins. I also have three sets of I2C & power pins available. On the top left corner is the reset switch.

Currently connected to the board is a SD card. I have some small push button switches that I can jumper to input pins. I have a toggle switch that I have connected to the bootloader pin. (forget what it is)

I included the back of the board to show the connections. I normally use wire-wrap wire. For power I use 22 AWG solid.

I haven't done much more than some testing with the ESP32. I still have not done what I want to do with the ESP8266. Using a board like this is convenient for one-of type boards. If I had something I would want more than two of I would make a pcb. I'm in the process of that for the ESP8266. After that then I will think about a pcb for the ESP32. I plan to add stuff to this board to make development easier. Like dedicated wired connectors for the SD card. Plug in connector for a 128x64 oled display. I want to use one of these boards for an ESP32 internet radio, since I probably only would want one or two.

esp32board.jpg

esp32board2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By whats_up_skip
#76157 Thank you for the extra information and particularly the pictures. It is all very informative and gives a better idea of what I should be looking at doing.

I see know what you mean about what the board maker could have done with more ground and power tracks.
By rudy
#76159 What you have to decide is if it will be a single project board or a project development board.

For a single project you likely will put it together and it will remain that way and have that single use. Sure the firmware could change but the hardware would be more or less set.

If the board is to be a development platform for trying out different hardware configurations then it is convenient to have more connection points for the power and IO. Make it easy to change things. Adding modules like the SD card board connected by jumper wires. Or add a female connector to the board so the SD card module could be plugged in without jumper wires.

For a dedicated project it would be more stable if the SD card board was permanently mounted and wired. So the SD card is easily inserted or extracted without needing to take a lot of care not to break connections.

Flexibility or stability.
By gregware
#90041 I'm using this with an ESP32 for some home automation, with ESPHome.
Instrumenting an old PZEM-004T, plus some open collector pulse meters.
Currently still prototyping, finished the 3D printed casing, using an Hilink HLK-PM03 powered from mains AC. The ESP is now setup for OTA. Adding a piezo buzzer, some LEDs for feedback.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.