Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By GTP
#78144 Hello everyone.
I have a bunch of ESP-01 with the P25Q80H PUYA memory chip, the problem is that when I upload data via Arduino IDE using the Arduino ESP8266 filesystem uploader it seems to work, but then my sketch can't find the files I uploaded. I'm sure that my code is correct because it works with other boards and I've tried different memory size/SPIFF size settings and even changing the upload speed but without results. I've already done a bit of "research" about this issue and turns out that other people have a problem with this chip but a different one: they can upload and read data but can't write it from the sketch. There is another person here https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino/issues/4061 having the same problem but no solution is given, the topic then continues with the issue of writing at runtime. Since I don't really need at the moment the ability of writing SPIFF from the sketch, could please somebody who managed to correctly upload and read data from that chip (or at least some other chip but from same manufacturer) tell me the exact parameters he/she has used for the upload? Thanks in advance and have a nice weekend.
PS: my Arduino IDE version is 1.8.5, I don't know how to get the SPIFF tool version.
By QuickFix
#78212 I don't have any issues myself, so I can't speak from experience, but I would get hold of an ESP--1 with another flash chip than Puya to see if the problem persists.
Those Puya chips are known for giving all kinds of trouble (mostly at writing, but you never know what else might be quirky). :?
By GTP
QuickFix wrote:I don't have any issues myself, so I can't speak from experience, but I would get hold of an ESP--1 with another flash chip than Puya to see if the problem persists.
Those Puya chips are known for giving all kinds of trouble (mostly at writing, but you never know what else might be quirky). :?

I would be glad to follow your suggestion, but the problem is that I can't be sure of the memory chip that I would get... If you have a PUYA chip could you please tell me which parameters are you using to flash files to SPIFF?
By Kintara
#83645 PUYA memory chips do have an issues with SPIFFs. Try replkacing them with WINBOND W25Q32FVSIG SOP-8 SMD Integrated Circuit IC Chip (from ebay) and see if that helps. These are 4Mb chips and are SMT, but not too hard to solder if you are moderately experienced.