Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By Filip722
#78742 Hello,

I was going to use the ESP-WROOM-S2 with 2MB flash onboard with my project, but i can't seem to get user code to work from onboard flash.

The difference from other modules is the fact, that the S2 has flash connected to HSPI (as opposed from the SPI).
I can flash it via the official tool (HSPIDownload). Used the correct settings as in the manuals.

Boot mode should be SDIO/SPI first from the photo below, so MTDO (GPIO15) High and rest don't care Image

When i do that i get:
Code: Select all13:57:05.061 ->  ets Jan  8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(7,6)
13:57:05.061 ->
13:57:05.061 -> waiting for host

I can never get user code to work. Heck, i would be surprised as GPIO15 also controls the Chip Select which is inverted, so setting it high would disable the onboard flash

Setting mode to flash boot just removes the "waiting for host" line and nothing ever boots.

What the hell? What is the internal flash for then?
Hardware evaluation board pdf requires to send boot.bin. But i want it operate as standalone device!

Please help me clarify where i am mistaken or if the ESP-WROOM-S2 cannot be used as a standalone device (like NodeMCU, ESP-12E etc.)