Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By pfeerick
#80453 There is no simple "yes, no doubt" to a question of "Am I doing something wrong?" without knowing what code or hardware configuration is involved.

If you are talking about a development board that is being powered via a USB lead, and does not have anything connected to it (and it's not on a breadboard), and are running something like a simple web server sketch or blinky LED sketch... then no, you're not doing anything wrong... and it sounds like you have a faulty board.

If you have it wired up in a project, maybe you have something connected improperly, or your breadboard has a short, or something is wrong with the power connection. Maybe check the solder joints, and make sure there are no shorts. Maybe it needs a pulldown resistor on GPIO15 to make sure it is booting from the SPI flash - although I would think it would just sit there looking pretty, not get toasty warm.
By kanik
#84956 Hello, i know it's been quite a long time, but I'm curious on how to set gpio15 low and disable it on startup. I'm very new in this and hope to get a feedback because I'm facing the same (heating) issue, thank you
By sascha23095123423
#85043 The pulldown should be 10K or higher, which will result in a 0.33mA increase if set high and that does not cause any heating compared to the 80-90mA it draws during normal operation.

Even if it is something ridiculous low like 200R, it won't cause substantial heating.

If you face heating issues it is probably a good idea to measure input voltage and current and post it as well.