Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By rudy
#80367 If you make your own probe exposed to higher temperatures then you will need wire with insulation that can handle the heat. For higher temperature probes we use cable with Teflon insulation.
By leenowell
#80381 Thanks @Rudy. Amusingly I never thought of looking for high temp wire I was focused on the metal braided type you get with the probes. I have had a look but it seems I couldn't find thin suitable wire and the ones I could find are glass fibre
By rudy
#80383 Glass fiber insulation is fine. Better than Teflon as far as high temperatures. It just is more difficult to work with. Stripping it. Not a big problem though.
By Bonzo
#80384 There is enamaled wire which we use and burn the coating off with a soldering iron at about 400C. Single core and not very flexible. The temperature could probably be higher than stated as it is rated over a long usage period.

Different grades of PTFE wire rated at 160/260C

Perhaps run bare wire through some PTFE tube which would be rated the same as the insulation? Perhaps a bit higher if there is an air gap between the wire and insulation.

Also silicone wire about 200C

Interestingly the glass fibre wire I have seen is only rated to about 200C as well

Of course it all depends the type/brand of wire you buy.