Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By mlefevre
#82799 I'm using ESP Now with two ESP8266. One is a master and the other a slave. The slave waits for a transmission from the master and calls a callback when one is received. Is there any way to get an indication of the signal strength (maybe RSSI) of the transmission from the master? Since the connection between master and slave is very transient (maybe 20 mS every 10 minutes, I know I can't use WiFi.RSSI() while I'm waiting for a callback, right?

I'm using esp_now_register_recv_cb() on the slave.
By rudy
#82803 I am using UDP and I am getting the RSSI on every send. Or it seems to. I can do a send and then if I put the remote under a steel bowl the RSSI reported goes down. I will need to look at my code. I don't remember how it was done. I don't know if ESPNOW is able to return the same, but I don't see why not.

EDIT:

Maybe what I am getting is the RSSI from beacons, once per second. Just a guess. I have not had time to look at the code though.
By rudy
#82808 I tried to get RSSI with an ESP-NOW example and it always returns the same thing (31), and I am sure it is an initial default value and not a measured one. Since ESP-NOW uses vendor-specific action frames, and is not connected to a router, it will not be receiving beacons. So it seems to me that you can't get a RSSI value as far as I can tell.