Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By zoomx
#12112 Take a look to this post by Pete Scargill
http://tech.scargill.net/esp201/
It talk about in esp201 the pcb antenna is connected depending the position of a resistor, in his module was not connected.

I believe that ESP-07 is like ESP-12 but the antenna is a ceramic antena instead of a PCB antenna

Great comparison!
By Simon
#13003 Hi,

Noob chiming in, this was exactly what I was looking, thank you :)

I am looking to get a couple of ESP8266 for different purposes, one to hook up to my Arduino and one for a standalone application.

• I saw in a video that ESP-03 has been very popular, is this an old version now, and would I be better of with another version e.g. ESP-12 or ESP-201?
  • Or perhaps go for ESP-01 since you mention it can be used for both Arduino and standalone? I saw in another video though, that that one might need some physical modifications before standalone usage?

/cheers
By canibalimao
#13095 The ESP-01 modules can be used standalone, just like the other modules. The problem with the ESP-01 is the lack of GPIO pins. With other models, like ESP-03/07/12 you have all the GPIOs available.

The differences between ESP-07/12 and ESP-03 is the shielding and the CE certificate (which I'm not shure is real or not, but let's believe that's all true).
By Simon
#14104 Ok thanks for the information.

I ended up buying several different modules so I have something to test.
  • 2x -03
  • 2x -07
  • 2x -12
  • 1x -201

I received the -07 and -12 today.