Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By Ja Ve
#84816 Hello,

I am creating a project with ESP-07s and almost every article recommends to use mcp1700 as regulator. But when I take look on it I found mcp1812AT-33 regulator which look better (lower quintessence power, 300mA, etc).
But I did not found any experience with it... Am I missing something? Or it is better than MCP1700 for usage with esp?

Datasheet mcp1812AT-33:
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/D ... 06088B.pdf

Thank you for any answer.
By rudy
#84821 I do have a couple of ESPs that are being powered by MCP1700s.
A pair of MCP1700 for the ESP, because one was not enough for reliable operation.

I saw the specs for the MCP1812 but the 300mA rating makes me nervous. I had set 400mA as the minimum I would accept. The ESP can draw a lot more current under specific circumstances, like RF calibration.

Maybe the MCP1812 would work, but I would recommend staying away from the MCP1700.
By Ja Ve
#84828 More than 250mA? Wow, I did not know that... It is some peak which some capacitor can cover?
I get info from this article:
https://randomnerdtutorials.com/esp8266 ... batteries/

So I thought it will be enough and the MCP1812 is better then MCP1700. But if you are saying the 250mA and even 300mA should not be enough I am little bit confused... Perhaps it is some way how to decrease the peak programaticaly? The application is really easy - only read some data from sensor and send it to server and go to deep sleep. Waking up is external from sensor...

Thank you
By btidey
#84830 Also check out

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19801

for discussion of low power regulation for esp8266.

Although the MCPs offer low quiescent current, the fall back current limiter could prove troublesome. The esp8266 has fairly low average current consumption when active with wifi but can have short duration current spikes. If you have a good reservoir capacitor then that may be able to supply those, but I prefer to use a regulator which can intrinsically deal with the higher current demands of these spikes.