Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By icons
#85494 Image

My main concern/problem is WHERE can I place that on/off switch to be able to power down D1 but allow battery to charge in order to reduce charging times and heat dissipation in a small case.
Note: IMHO this circuit is going to drain the battery through A0 though D1 is not powered.

1) I am not worried about power consumption that much. I just need to know when the battery is getting low so I can charge it.

2) I could use a bare esp8266 12, but I am planing on doing a lot of testing so need that USB.

Sorry this topic has gone astray...you guys opened Pandora's box :lol:

btidey wrote:The D1 has a 220K / 100K divider on the ADC input to allow 3.2V full range (1V inot A0). THis means it will draw 10uA at full scale.

The 6uA extra (or even 10uA) will be insignificant compared to these and will have very little impact on overall battery life.

But do you think with that 1v on ADC with my switch "off" esp8266 will continually eat that 1v since it is directly connected to battery. Maybe esp8266 will even try to boot with 1v? I know my Nano does that.

davydnorris wrote:Just make sure whatever circuit you use doesn't draw current continuously, or you'll drain your LiPo for no reason

I have not found a esp8266 charging + battery monitoring example that has an on/off switch. All are meant to work continuously or in sleep mode. I need to be able to power off D1 and have zero battery draw. But I don't think that's possible (not without an elaborate circut with NPNs...), maybe I should just bite the bullet and slap the switch right at the battery source.