Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By lorenzoalinari
#86510 Hi guys,
During these isolation days I decided to play with some ESPs I got lying around which I never used.
I successfully installed and programmed some D1 minis with MicroPython, and now I wanted to build a smaller project.
I got 2 ESP-01s with 1MB flash size, but I really can't get them to work. I can put them in flashing mode and flash some firmware on them, but that's it. Once I disconnect GPIO-0 from GND my computer doesn't see the device anymore, and I can't get any serial prompt. If leave the pin grounded my computer can't see it but I obviously get no serial prompt anyway.
To connect the board to the computer I used a cheap TTL-USB adapter like this Imageand did the proper wiring. Tried exchanging adapter and board since I got more than 1, but it's the same story. The wiring is ok since I can flash firmware. I did unplug and plugged again the ESP everytime I flashed something. Also, when I disconnect ground from GPIO-0 two of three LEDs stay constantly lit on the adapter instead of one, but I can't find what these status LEDs stand for (except for power on).
The reason why I need serial communication is because I want to use Micropython, and it doesn't work whether it's a python REPL, AT commands or a simple Serial.print()
What could it be? I'm going crazy!
By lorenzoalinari
AcmeUK wrote:The picture of the serial flasher has a link between TX and GND, why?
Try this as a start:- https://www.monocilindro.com/2017/02/25/flashing-esp8266-using-ftdi-and-arduino-ide/

That bridge is used to short either the 5V pin or the 3.3V pin to the VCC pin. When the 5V pin is shorted, the board will operate in 3.3V mode and vice versa