Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By redtom
#87139 Thanks for the replies guys.

I apologise for my terminological in-exactitude. :D

I meant the difference between the different development boards such as the node lua:

https://www.banggood.com/CP2102-ESP-12E ... rehouse=CN

This one has the CP2102 but is more expensive then the one with the CH340. Does it matter if you are not continually programming the board?

Dermot
By lotus49
#87142 The CH340 is cheaper than the CP2102 for the manufacturers as well which is why it's becoming more popular but the only reason you'd care which you use is driver support. Since the CH340 is supported on every OS I've used, go for the cheaper one. There isn't a material difference in terms of functionality.
By lotus49
btidey wrote:I think saying that the ESP-12E (ESP-12F) is not good for general use can be somewhat misleading.

I agree that for development purposes the integrated modules like Wemos and NodeMCU can be very convenient (certainly for beginners) as they make it easy to connect to a development IDE platform for uploading and debugging.

By general use I meant in all situations which inevitably includes a development environment where you need an FTDI serial to USB converter for uploading sketches and debugging and are also more likely to find a 5V power supply easy to find. For the final version, I agree that boards like the ESP-12[EF] often are more appropriate but that isn't general use in my book.

I am doing the same thing at the moment. I developed something using a NodeMCU. Now it's working properly and I want to make the final version I'm using an ESP-01 although I'm having problems booting the little blighter, but that's another story.
By Bonzo
I am doing the same thing at the moment. I developed something using a NodeMCU. Now it's working properly and I want to make the final version I'm using an ESP-01 although I'm having problems booting the little blighter, but that's another story.

I am having the same problems with a ESP-12F