Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By viktak
#87616 Dear all!

I am building a data logger device and so far I can successfully read/write data on an SD card using an SD card breakout board like on this pic:
IMG_20200622_170103.jpg

However, when I try a micro SD card (with an adapter) the whole thing stops working, it can't even initialize the card. The adapter and the micro SD card is like this:
IMG_20200622_170123.jpg

I am using the latest version of the Arduino framework in PlatformIo, and GPIO15 for CS, if it makes any difference...

I have tried several other adapters and micro SD cards (which all work in other devices) but I get the same result: SD cards work, micro SD cards don't.

Any particular reason for this? Any idea what could be the problem?

Thank you for any pointers in advance!

v
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By picstart
#87618 The SD card and the micro SD card aren't the same. All the SD adapter for the Micro SD card is doing is connecting the pins. The cards have different protocols and the software interface has to talk to the card the card in its protocol for it to work.
By viktak
picstart wrote:The SD card and the micro SD card aren't the same. All the SD adapter for the Micro SD card is doing is connecting the pins. The cards have different protocols and the software interface has to talk to the card the card in its protocol for it to work.

Hmmm, are you sure about this? Since last night I tried to use a micro SD card directly (i.e. without the adapter), and the same code works just fine. So my problem is now mute as I want to use a micro SD in the final device anyway, but it would be interesting to know why they behave like this.