Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By grintor
#13566 Has anyone figured out how to get the esp8266 to idle at a reasonable current draw when NOT connected to an AP in Station mode? When using LIGHT_SLEEP mode, and connected to an AP, the device idles very low < 10 mA and spikes every 300ms for the beacon Tx. That's nice.

But when it's NOT connected to an AP it idles constantly at > 60 mA. It makes no sense for it to use more power when its not connected to an AP. What gives?? Anyone have any luck making it behave nicely when it's not connected?

Thanks!
By kyote00
#13811 When not connected to an AP, it is sending 80211 probes (80211 FRAME SUBYTPE 0X04)

I have been doing lots of testing to see what the basic behaviour is....
Have a look here http://bbs.espressif.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=315 --- I am still trying to get to the bottom of all the activity that goes on in the background.

Even when its connected to an AP and idling - you will still get lots of "Null Data" frames ...... I think we need a WLE standard (wifi low energy ;-))