Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By jsmwrench
#93082 Hello everyone.

I'm fairly new at the microcontroller game, so I may sound a little ignorant in my terminology I use. Please forgive me and I will try to learn from my mistakes.

So, I've read many statements and quotes from various sources that the ESP8266 Node MCU runs at 80 MHz (default), but can be increased to 160 MHz. The problem is, not one of those posts I read said HOW to increase it. Does anyone know how to do this? I typically upload my code via the Arduino IDE, but if I have to do that through another means just to be able to increase this I will be okay learning another IDE.

Just to clarify my intentions, my goal is to be able to run a stepper motor as fast (or slow) as possible. I was under the impression that this is determined by how fast (or slow) the processor can repeat the "void loop()" part of the code.

If anyone can help clarify this for me, it would be greatly appreciated.
Ron.
By btidey
#93090 In Arduino IDE on tools menus you can select the CPU frequency 80/160MHz

You can also set it dynamically in code using os_update_cpu_frequency
By jsmwrench
#93091 LOL! Boy, do I feel dumb. :roll: I have researched this for hours and couldn't find any documentation on this. Thank you very much for the reply and info. Much appreciated. :)