Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By Shohreh
#93914 Hello,

I'd like to power a ESP8266-equipped NodeMCU board with a single 18650 battery and ditch the power bank I'm currently using.

Do you know if this shield and any 18650 battery is safe and does the job?

Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Inq720
#93916 I purchased three of a similar design (single 18650 battery version) a couple of years ago. Mine looked the same as these, except, mine had 1 micro USB connector to be used for charging purposes and on the other end a USB A connector for use to supply power. It also had the 3 and 5 volt outputs along the edges.

The point being... I would expect the design to be satisfactory. It's a pretty simple problem to design to get the 18650's voltage range (3.0 to 4.2V) up to 5.0V for the USB output. So these should do the job.

On the other side of the coin... these are a dime-a-dozen, commodity product made in China often re-branded here. Of my 3, one worked fine... the other 2 were DOA. I bought them cheap, direct from China and had to get a refund via Ebay.

Doing again, I'd get through Amazon in two days making sure they have good ratings with thousands of units sold. ;)