Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By xytsrm
#95456 According to the attached table from the ESP8266 Technical Datasheet, in "shut down" aka hibernate (presumably EN pin held low) the current draw should be 0.5ua. I'm measuring 15ua with EN low, GPIO15 held low and GPIO4 set as an input and held low.

I'm measuring current closer to that of "deep sleep"; why is the current higher than the Datasheet specifies for "shut down"?

X.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By btidey
#95457 The Off current is for the ESP8266 chip itself. You have to also consider currents being drawn by any support circuitry around the chip. The flash chip for example could be taking 5uA or so in standby.

For most purposes the difference of a few uA is likely to be academic as the average current is likely to be dominated by the active current drawn unless one is using extremely low duty cycles of activity.
By xytsrm
#95458 I am using an ESP-07 module, it did occur to me that there could be extra circuitry in the module drawing power. But, I found the spec from the Chinese company that manufacturers the module (see attached); it still shows a total current draw for the module of 0.5ua during power-off (shut-down).
NOTE: The table values are only valid after removal of the power LED.

BTW: The few uA difference for my application would mean 6 to 8 months of additional operation on the battery; that's not so academic.

X
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.