Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By btidey
xytsrm wrote:I am using an ESP-07 module, it did occur to me that there could be extra circuitry in the module drawing power. But, I found the spec from the Chinese company that manufacturers the module (see attached); it still shows a total current draw for the module of 0.5ua during power-off (shut-down).
NOTE: The table values are only valid after removal of the power LED.

BTW: The few uA difference for my application would mean 6 to 8 months of additional operation on the battery; that's not so academic.

X

Note that I said "for most applications". You had not given any details of your application or what battery you were using so I could not be more specific. I agree it is of course desirable to reduce as far as possible background current in battery operate devices but for many the duty cycle of active current can become the dominant contribution.

The Chinese manufacturer of that module has just repeated the chip characteristics without considering any other current draws around the module.

The other thing worth noting is that on some modules the LED circuitry can cause some uA of current flow through to the pin driving it even with the EN inactive. One can sometimes see a faint glow from the LED in this state. I normally remove the LED in battery driven projects to avoid this.
By xytsrm
The Chinese manufacturer of that module has just repeated the chip characteristics without considering any other current draws around the module.

I totally agree regarding the table. I've done several measurements and there is no way that table accurately represents the current draw of the module.
The specification, and the notation on the module indicate the manufacturer as AI-Thinker. I'm going to make an attempt to contact them about their spec; will see what happens.