Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By Kaacz
Gutty wrote:I updated it with sussess!

Cutting with a sharpen cutter edge the pcb line with a 10x lens to see what I do.

Then started update program. Then with a resistence and needle the GPIO00 to ground, then reset a moment to ground. The update process started and I could release the needle on GPIO 00, the uptade finished with success. So it is not necesary to solder the pin or to hold the needle all the time.

Yes, it is possible, but only (too * too) small. :)
I want cut pcb and solder thin wire from pin to jumper in big hole. :) I need repeat flash .. maybe.
My idea is - "use ESP05 as simply WiFi to serial bridge to console port of Cisco & etc. network nodes without Arduino". In this case of use I don't need gpios. :)

By beikeland
#35631 I'm kinda late to the party, but clearly I too missed that these wouldn't flash without tinkering..

Anyways, seeing the AT firmware supports cloud firmware updates, then a non-invasive update might involve a transparent proxy and the firmware of my choosing, or is it authenticated in some way? I'll see if I find time to test it out, and report back.
By BlitzSSS
beikeland wrote:Anyways, seeing the AT firmware supports cloud firmware updates

As I've recently discovered, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong but there's 2 things holding you back with OTA updates of these modules;

1) 512KB flash.
2) Pre SDK 1.0 (AT v0.22) is no longer compatible with OTA.
By beikeland
#35686 For now I'm not even getting an AT response from my esp-05 modules. But yeah, if the existing AT firmware or the firmware of my choosing is more than 50%/256k then its a problem.

But if the modules did support OTA, and no longer does, it sounds more like the remote server changed. But I'll see what files they ask for, if any, when I get to talk to them.

Edit:
Turns out there is a large variance in the current draw between modules; had to move away from my usb supply to run some of the modules.

+GMR
AT version:0.25.0.0(Jun 5 2015 16:27:16)
SDK version:1.1.1
Ai-Thinker Technology Co. Ltd.
Jun 23 2015 23:23:50

+CIUPDATE
+CIPUPDATE:1
+CIPUPDATE:2
+CIPUPDATE:3
+CIPUPDATE:4

ERROR

And my http proxy caught this:
request: "GET /ota/device/at/rom/v1/?is_format_simple=true HTTP/1.0"
host: "service.vowstar.net"
request: "GET /ota/device/at/rom/v1/?action=download_rom&version=20150419141355&filename=user2.bin HTTP/1.1"
host: "service.vowstar.net

So despite that, it turns out even the most minimal OTA update examples are around 240-250k so no point with 512k flash.

Update: Some more research shows that my -05's have 1Mbit flash, but the cloud update sepeate the flash into two parts, user1.bin and user2.bin. And the Arduino IDE is not able to produce compatible flash images for either partition. So for me the solution is a $6 soic clip and spi flash programmer, and one-time flash it directly with SPI and use Arduino over the air updates. I'll report back if it works as planned. Part of the reason, is then I also have the soic clip and programmer if i replace the flash chips with 4 or 8M later.