Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By GeorgeIoak
#17655 Has anyone run tests powering the module with a low Vcc? From my initial testing it seems that it can run on 2.8V but cannot come out of reset at that low voltage. 2.9V seems a little better but I'm not convinced that it is completely reliable at this level. I'm talking about using a stable power source at this level, something that doesn't droop to these levels.

I'm looking at a battery powered application and want to keep the power consumption as low as possible.

Thanks,
George
By Mark Hanley
#17755 Hi George,

I tested the ESP-01 module down to 2.2V but this could be different on other modules because of different versions of the same components being used in the manufacture.

I'd recommend you use something like the TPS61200 from TI as this will take any voltage from 900mV to 5V and provide you 3.3V at up to 300mA.

Hope this helps!
By GeorgeIoak
#17772 Hi Mark:

Really, a stable 2.2V and you were able to reset and not have any issues? I don't think the chip is a 1.8V part so operating that low seems odd to me.

I do have a TI regulator in my design but I was working with different voltages to see what would still be reliable. I'm working with a ESP-12 purchased from eBay from tomyuen007 out of the US.
By Mark Hanley
#17778 Hi George,

I wasn't using the reset pin on the ESP-01 but I was powering it off and on at 100mV increments and the lowest I got it to work at was 2.2V.

With regards to the TI part, it's a synchronous boost converter so if your batteries are at 4.5V, 3.1V, 2.0V or anything down to 900mV it will give out 3.3V. Current supply from a battery with only 900mV could be an issue but this little part will suck the most from your battery to run the ESP-xx.