Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By Jostikas
Squonk wrote:I don't see any pin to connect an external Low-Frequency Crystal :(

The Sept. 8, 2014 datasheet from Espressif:
8.4.3 Real Time Clock IO (EXT_LFC):
If a 32.768 kHz LFC clock is available, it can be connected to EXT_LFC. If no clock is
available on this pin, the internal LFC will be used. If an EXT_LFC is available, the selection of
LFC source, internal LFC or EXT_LFC can be done by a strapping pin

However, what pin this EXT_LFC is, and what pin should be strapped is, at the moment, uncertain.

https://github.com/esp8266/esp8266-wiki/wiki/Pin-definition gives pin five as VDD_RTC, NC (1.1V). I'm not entirely sure how to interpret that, or what it's based on. No connect, has 1.1V on it when measured? If I pull that low, will I burn the internal RTC-s power supply or just disable the internal clock and is that enough to force the chip to use the external one? Gah.

jonsmirl wrote:Or someone can ask them the fix the datasheet so that we don't have to guess.

That would be best, I guess, but who should I talk to about that? I understand there is someone who's in contact with them?
By Squonk
#1500 My guess was that pin 5 (VDD_RTC) was meant to connect a coin cell battery for powering internal RTC during deep sleep.

But there are a lot of questions raised by incomplete statements available in the datasheet, like ADC, I2S, etc.

Maybe wes should start a topic listing them?