Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By eriksl
#18492 Exactly.

The reason why you're not attaining much more than 100 kHz is because you need to "bang" each bit on it's own, in software.

But that's no problem. Many i2c devices won't work beyond 100 kHz anyway.
By GeorgeIoak
#18504 True, I won't argue that 100kHz is the most common bus speed but there are devices that can run at 400kHz or more. My point is that a specification should be providing details on the what the chip can do. If the CPU is running at 80MHz a program written in C should be able to toggle the GPIO pin much faster than 100kHz. Sure bit banging has some additional CPU clock cycles but I can't see why this comment about being limited to 100kHz is made.

I knew there was another reason I thought this might have hardware I2C, take a look at the block diagram in the datasheet, it clearly shows a I2C block.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By GeorgeIoak
#18514 Wow, very well written and detailed article. This is the type of detailed information that should be provided by the manufacturer. At least we have dedicated people that spend the extra time to provide useful information for the rest of us but if you hadn't pointed that article out I'm not sure I ever would have found it.