Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By tanmayvg
#18812 Hi,
I have been trying to update the firmware of the ESP-01 module using NodeMCU. I have made the following connections:
RX-TX
TX-RX
Vcc-3.3V
Gnd-Gnd
CH-PD- Vcc
GPIO0- GND
GPIO1-Vcc
Reset-Floating.

When I power up the module, the red led remains ON. However, the blue Led also remains constantly ON instead of blinking once at power ON. Also when I click Flash button on NodeMCU s/w, the blue icon keeps rotating. I have tried the following after reading the forum:
1: Trying different baud rates
2: Exchanging RX and TX
3:Connecting CH-PD to ground and then to VCC immediately after clicking Flash on NodeMCU
4:Connecting Reset Button to GND after Poweron

After some trial and error I was able to load the firmware about 3 times in 50 tries. I don't know if the firmware update was actually successful.Because when the update was successful..the 3 times I mentioned, I tried communicating via the terminal and received some garbage.
Seems the firmware update isn't consistent.
Please help me with the connections and the perfect steps to update the firmware.

Thanks,
Tanmay
By tytower
#18935 See the wiki right at the top of this page in black .Reset should be high. get the wiring right then connect GPIO 0 to ground and switch the power off and then on . You should see only one blue flash.

Don't bother with anything else until you get that bit sorted because it won't program until you do.