Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By prozac
#1581 I have looked through what documentation has been released about the chip but can't find any detailed info about the bootloader and it's use/assumptions about the external flash chip. Being a SOIC8, I would suspect we could upgrade to a larger flash chip as long as it is still able to load the FW, right? My interest is in trying to get an SSL lib compiled in with some default certs or to be able to store some small html content for a true web UI. Anyone see why this wouldn't work?
By prozac
#1691 So, the closest I could find on winbonds site to what my boards have is: http://www.winbond.com/hq/enu/ProductAndSales/ProductLines/FlashMemory/SerialFlash/W25Q40BW.htm. It looks like 1.8v 80MHz 4Mb (512KB) flash (though why they wouldn't use one tolerant of 3.3 seems strange). If that is the case, it looks like you could double the flash by simply swapping out for the 80BW, which is the same voltage and clock. Any reason it couldn't simply be "swapped" in? Does the bootloader just begin exec at a given offset?