Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By ichilton
#21389 Hi,

Just trying to get my head around the different AT firmware types/versions.

There are a number of Google Drive links floating around, but i'd prefer to stick to an official source.

I found: https://github.com/espressif/esp8266_at, which seems to match approx with the dates for: http://bbs.espressif.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64 - so are those the same thing?

When I flash the one from Github, AT+GMR gives: 00200.9.4

Is that the latest release of the EspressIf AT firmware, then?

When I power on the ESP-12's I bought, I get:
[Vendor:www.ai-tinker.com Version:0.9.2.4]

AT+GMR gives:
0018000902-AI03

What's the difference between the AI Tinker firmware and the ExpressIf firmware (and who are AI Tinker?)

Why all the different formats of version number?

Also on a related note, how come the ExpressIf firmware comes in 4x files which you have to flash at different locations:

Code: Select allboot_v1.1.bin---------------->0x00000
user1.bin-------------------->0x01000
esp_init_data_default.bin---->0x7C000
blank.bin-------------------->0x7E000

Is there any documentation anywhere which explains what each of those is for and why those locations?

How come many of the firmwares on the Google Drive links have only a single file to flash at 0x000? - is there a tool to combine the separate files into a single firmware image?

Thanks!

Ian
By Kaden_shaihd
#21412 The frustration is real! I have 6 esp8266-01 modules, and on 4 of them, when I run AT+GMR I get the output:
AT firmware version: 0.21.0.0
SDK firmware version: 0.9.5.0

But! On two of the modules, I get this:
AT firmware version: 0.24.0.0
SDK firmware version: 1.0.0.1

I have yet to find any reliable/ complete documentation online. :(
I'm looking into copying the firmware off the chip so I can flash it to my other ESPs, if all goes well, I'll post again and try and upload the latest firmware!
-K