Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By Barnabybear
#23693 Hi, sorry I wasn’t clear about the problem & fix, I had mainly posted to comment on the 4M flash size. Sorry if this is off topic.
Plugged some of these ‘new’ coluored ESP8266-01 (black board & 4M flash) into my normal flashing setup & could communicate via serial monitor but could not flash them.
Serial: Blue leds – ESP flashed twice on boot, ESP & CH340 both flashed during communication.
Flash: Blue leds – ESP flashed once on boot, CH340 flashed during Flash – ESP did not light during Flash.
Fix: my normal setup used a resistor voltage divider to reduce the 5V to 3.3V between CH340 TX & ESP URXD (from WIKI then this link).
It appears that this is not compatible with the ‘new’ coloured boards. I had to remove the divider and connect directly to the CH340 TX pin (which is 5V) this worked & I could flash the ESP. I could however replace the divider for serial communication to reduce the chance of dammage from the 5v on the unit after the flash. It looks like I need to perform this mod on my CH340.
So in summary the 1K : 2K resistor voltage divider that that worked to flash earlier boards would not work with this ‘new’ coloured board (for me anyway).
Last edited by Barnabybear on Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.