Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By Squonk
#1869 Thanks Jon for sharing!

I have no issue opening the second provided link, I did not try the first one.

However, this seems like a draft report only (see page headers), and the FCC ID mentioned on the front matter does not exist (yet?) in the FCC database online search engine.

Apparently, this reports is for the "ESP_IOT Ref Compatible Board" pictured in page 101, without shield nor power supply. It does not cover the small HDK module alone.
By jonsmirl
#1872 Correct, this report just proves that the chip can pass if used in a properly designed board. I don't think this board was meant for public consumption so they probably skipped paying the registration fee to the FCC. Maybe they did pay the fee if an ID has been assigned. To clarify this when you get quoted for FCC testing they are bundling the cost of their testing and the registration fees paid to the FCC all into a single number.

FCC testing is done on a module or system basis. This test does nothing to get an FCC ID for any of these modules we are using. The vendors of those modules have to go do FCC test themselves for their specific PCB. But.. they now know for sure that a properly designed board is capable of passing - in other words there is nothing structurally wrong with the chip.
By Squonk
#1877 Absolutely, and given that the ESP-xx boards are using 2-layer PCBs vs. 4-layer in the Espressif tiny board reference design, and also probably crystal with > +/- 10 ppm accuracy, these board manufacturers know that they won't pass FCC without raising significantly the price...