Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By arduic
#28853 Trust me once the network connection died and my PWM stopped working I went back to the basics but it didn't seem to help. The circuit I'm using to flash my chip is the same as the hackaday one found here http://hackaday.com/2015/03/18/how-to-directly-program-an-inexpensive-esp8266-wifi-module/ however it doesn't seem to help much. I've tried having the GPIO from the blinky example be both a sink and source (large resistor as to make current <12mA) however in both cases the GPIO just seems to be stuck on logic HIGH.
By Barnabybear
#28855 Hi, the circuit you list has GPIO2 directly connected to Vcc. Try a 1k pullup insted.
So:
Vcc -> 3.3V
RST -> 3.3V
CH_PD -> 3.3V
GPIO 0 -> 3.3V via 1K pullup
GPIO 2 -> 3.3V via 1K pullup
GPIO 15 -> GND (if you device has this exposed).
GND -> GND
Tx -> Rx
Rx -> Tx
The pullups are important (as opposed to direct connection to Vcc) as GPIO 2 is also serial and need to be in the range 1K -> 10K.
Flash mode, leave the pullup in place and ground the GPIO 0.
EDIT: Ground GPIO 0 then power off & on.
Last edited by Barnabybear on Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
By arduic
#28901 Alright put in the 1K and there is no change in behavior. Still could flash the firmware but UART would still freak out, blinky still just goes HIGH and the network still is dead. Probably just going to buy some ESP12's from alliexpress and just be bored for a few weeks unless someone has another idea on what the heck this thing is doing.