Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By AlexZ
#28865 When I plug the nodeMCU devkit into my computer via USB nothing new show's up under /dev/tty.*

The nodeMCU dev kit version 5 uses a CP2102 serial to USB chip. I already have the most current driver for my operating system (MAC OS), and I already use a CP2102 serial to USB breakout to communicate with the ESP-01 I've already programmed.

Any ideas what might be the problem?
By AlexZ
#29081 I've had no luck finding the module using the micro USB connection it came with, and I think I may have a bum module, which sucks. I've attempted to bypass the supposedly broken CP2102 on the board with a CP2102 breakout that I own

NodeMCU --> CP2102 breakout
TXD --> RXD
RXD --> TXD
GND --> GND

I can connect to the module now, but no matter what baud I use I am unable to communicate with the module. When I hit restart a bunch of junk gets written to the serial connection by the module, but its indecipherable regardless of baud.

Any Suggestions? Anything at all! (even tell my if you have no idea what to do)
By Samighi11
AlexZ wrote:I've had no luck finding the module using the micro USB connection it came with, and I think I may have a bum module, which sucks. I've attempted to bypass the supposedly broken CP2102 on the board with a CP2102 breakout that I own

NodeMCU --> CP2102 breakout
TXD --> RXD
RXD --> TXD
GND --> GND

I can connect to the module now, but no matter what baud I use I am unable to communicate with the module. When I hit restart a bunch of junk gets written to the serial connection by the module, but its indecipherable regardless of baud.

Any Suggestions? Anything at all! (even tell my if you have no idea what to do)

Just curious, did you resolve this issue? if not send pictures of your setup. I just got a NodeMCU dev kit, installed CP2102 drivers on the Mac and bingo. USB + NodeMCU = Arduino Wifi for 7$