Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By Torjus
#29340 This is my second post here, but in my frustration i forgot to give you a proper Hello the first time arround! I apologize.
So to make it right:

Hello people =D

So to the issue:

I have bought this unit, which I'm happy with. I managed to flash one, and not brick it =) But I think i ruined the antenna.
http://www.dx.com/p/esp-07-esp8266-serial-wi-f-wireless-module-w-built-in-antenna-compatible-with-3-3v-5v-for-arduino-400559#.Vfv6QZedqPW

When i use the AT commands I get the OK. But when I try to search for AP's, both in mode 1 and 3, nothing is listed.
When I put the unit in mode 2, it will not create a visible AP.

Luckily I ordered two units, and as soon as the second unit arrived, I hooked it up and tested it without a firmware update. (SDK 1.1.1(?))
AT says OK
AT+CWLAP perfect
AT+CWJAP perfect

Everything works perfect whit this unit.

As well as the built in antenna, I also have this:
http://www.dx.com/p/2-4ghz-3dbi-wi-fi-antenna-extension-cable-for-esp8266-series-modules-black-golden-379494
it has been connected to the defect unit, but not the working one. I have not dared in case it was the source of the problem.

Does anyone know how i can test the antennas? is there another way to fix this? My there be another problem than the antenna?
One solution is to throw it away, but hey, it's much more fun and frustrating trying to fix stuff, right? =)

PS: Yes i was stupid enough to attach the extra antenna while I had power on the unit.
By picstart
#29342 I believe the esp8266 has a capacitor that isolates the external antenna. Most likely the issue is not that connecting the external antenna caused an issue. The board makers have little documentation w.r.t the external antenna. The PCB antenna has more flexibility at shorter ranges since it is less directional.....the external antenna is more directional and if oriented well with the receiver can extend the range. Within 20 meters the pcb antenna works fine
By kenn
#29347 The antennas are usually dead simple - usually just funny shaped conductors. I don't know what's under the hood of a Rainsun ceramic antenna but again I don't think it's rocket science. All the active RF devices are inside the ESP8266, there's only passive components between the chip and the antenna (or the antenna socket)

So if the RF part of your one ESP8266 is not apparently working, it's not likely to be the antenna. It will be one of the passive components (eg a coupling cap), or a bad connection, ... or the chip itself.
By Torjus
#29523 Hmm so most likely, I will not be able to figure it out without a bit more knowledge than I've got.
I will rip it apart and see what I can find.

Thanks guys =)