Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By trackerj
wififofum wrote:
trackerj wrote:On the basic, it's nothing more than a clasic Li-Ion battery charger with RTC power monitor

Which RTC, Charger, regulator are you using? What are battery dimensions? Thanks.

RTC: any that have programable Alarm and INT out pin:
Used so far:
PCF8563
DS3231

Charger: MCP73831

REG: any LDO with over 300mA capabilities, like MCP1825

Battery, as I said, is just a poor one, probably a clone for a Nintendo DS Lite (at least this is what is written on it, don't remember how landed in my drawer and when, never had or seen around a NDS Lite :) ). Size is about 2.8x4.8x0.5 cm.
By martinayotte
#33492 Hi Andy,

Glad to see you here !

For the ESP8266 RTC, unfortunately, Espressif never give much details about it. In fact, RTC means here more Real Time Counter than Real Time Clock. Although, I didn't verify myself, some people reported that this counter is even reset to zero when waking up from deep-sleep.
Also, most softwares are only using the SDK function system_get_rtc_time(), but not much more, although there are some other functions to access registers, but since no docs are provide for them, it is difficult to run in the fog.
I hope that with ESP32 things will become clearer and that we can get a real RTC with a VBat pin.