Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By srcnuzn
#30210 Hello!

I am new to wireless technology and i am curious about the ESP8266.

Is it possible to connect the antenna pin of the ESP8266 to an external amplifier to gain much more tx power (up to 500mW)?

Best Regards

-srcnuzn
By eriksl
#30246 More power is almost never the solution. Signal strength is something you can amplify. Signal quality not. So better take care the signal quality is max, e.g. by using a good access point (they are pricey!) or use directional antennas. Amplification almost always leads to less signal quality, it's very hard to do it properly on RF.
By srcnuzn
#30269 I need a stable connection between two ESPs at a distance of 500 meters.

One of the ESPs is stationary, the other is moving around.

Im worried that the signal of the moving ESP will be too weak. Neither can i put a directional antenna on it (since it is turning around) nor can i put an accesspoint in between the two ESPs. I can connect a duck antenna on it, but thats it, not sure if it's enough actually.

Do you have any advises?
By eriksl
#30270 Use a good antenna. "Good" may not always be what you'd expect. I have esp201 modules and tested it with the internal antenna and an external antenna and the signal quality (that's wat counts in the end) remains the same.

I don't think you can expect top of the bill signal quality for this price. I think that's the reason my access point connects them at 13 mbps most of the time, not the 150 mbps they should be capable of, even at max power right under the access point.