Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By feanor
xtal wrote:Let us know how you remove the cover, and if you did any damage.

At the end, I didn't have to decap. The short was a very thin tin line between the contact and case. Just a second of my iron was enough to reflow it.
Anyway, I was going to try with a hot air gun. Mine has some temperature control so I was going to set it at about 240 C. Luckily it won't be necessary. The chances to kill the module were high and I didn't want to spend another 10 bucks in its replacement...
By torntrousers
#32017 Getting slightly off topic - I decap'ed an ESP-12 once. I thought i'd broken it somehow as it wasn't working and wondering what was inside i just pulled hard on the metal cap with some needle nose pliers and it came off quite easily. I realized afterwards that it wasn't working as i'd removed the CH_PD pullup for some other playing around i'd been doing, doh. Still seems to run fine now without the cover off though so pulling it off didn't damage the board. Here it is for anyone who wonders what it looks like under the cover:
IMAG1639.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by torntrousers on Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Touliloup
xtal wrote:Those modules cost about $3.00 + free shipping from ALIEXPRESS if you are not in a hurry. 2-4 weeks delivery is norm.

feanor wrote: I also bought a few FTDI adapters in China, but I am afraid that I won't get them until...well... January? (Buying stuff online abroad is forbidden in Argentina, so I have to ship it to Miami and wait for some traveler to pick it up).

Seems he cannot have the module for 3$...