Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By shoelessone
#32031 Hey all!

I'm sorry if this question is "dense", but I'm working on a project for a family Christmas party and I'm hoping to end up with a "finished" looking "product" when I'm doing. I have, in short, a need to power a ESP-12E, as well as 8 LEDs (~20ma and 3v-ish).

Anyway, I am building 8 of these devices and they are not going to be used by "tech savvy" people. So, my goal is to make the final product as "finished" looking as possible. This means that I want the person to be able to simply plug in their device and be good to go.

Now, the issue of power is something I'm frankly still a bit confused about, in part because I'm a total newb, and in part because I am in the early stages and don't have a good "feel" for how things will work in my final circuit. All of that said, I found these on aliexpress: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-3-3V ... eb201560_9

.. They SEEM like they would do the job. I obviously will want to switch these to 3.3v. But, other than that, are these OK?

I had considered (and it would be nice) building the power related circuit into a PCB that I'll be printing, but in the end it seems easier to just buy something to save myself the trouble/heartache. There are enough things I have to learn/figure out on this project, and if this power supply will work then I think I'll just call it "good enough".

Any thoughts or opinions?

Thank you!

edit: to add to this question, if anybody has a great circuit design somewhere that would allow me to easily and cheaply add the power management circuit onto my PCB without having to reinvent the wheel, I'd love to see it. Again, I can buy any components I need at this point, and if I could get away with a simpler but totally find circuit that would be great. The unit that I linked to above is overkill for the project, I really don't need any of the "fancy" features (like 5v vs 3.3v switching, or USB input, etc). Again, my goal is a happy medium between easy, nice looking finished product, and cost!
By shoelessone
#32039 Thanks for the reply! Those seem very interesting, and possibly perfect. Sorry if this is dense, but the idea with these is you actually just add a power cord and then plug them directly into the wall? i.e. no "wall wart" what so ever?

That might be great (even more like a "real" product!) for the project - only thing I guess is that for servicing, it might be nice if I could "unplug" the power from the actual box (as apposed to having a cable permanently attached ot it, if that makes sense).

And I am in Chicago, IL in the USA.