Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By dynek
#34222 I've done so and it does lower consumption! Thanks guys.

On the ESP-07 there's only one LED to remove right ? No resistor or is there one ?
By Eyal
#34236 Yes, only one LED to remove, no other components. There are two LEDs, one is constantly on (to be removed) the other blinks with some activity (not a real problem). Having this second one helps in detecting when the esp has activity so I leave it.

The esp-12 does not have a power LED so nothing needs to be removed.

The LED colours may be different on devices from different vendors so do not use the colour when deciding which one to remove.

Good luck.
By DAFlippers
#34428 Man, it really pains me when I hear people advocating using knives or screwdrivers to remove a soldered component. Use the right tools and you won't damage the board or yourself.

David
By torntrousers
DAFlippers wrote:Man, it really pains me when I hear people advocating using knives or screwdrivers to remove a soldered component. Use the right tools and you won't damage the board or yourself.

What you say sounds sensible, however wait till you try this on an ESP-07 - it really is much easier with the point of a knife. SMD LEDs are quite fragile and break off easily and cleanly with a knife tip, but the LED is in a narrow spot between the antenna and metal shielding and its actually quite hard to unsolder. I've tried both ways and use a knife every time now.