Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By mrq
lethe wrote:I ordered one of these boards a couple of weeks ago and it finally arrived today.

Maybe this is has an obvious answer, but I have to ask: the board you received has a ESP-12 equipped with 4MByte (32Mbit)?
(all my esp-07 has 512KByte but they're one year old, I don't know if this flash size does exists anymore)

And I ask you a confirmation, too: the +5V pin coming from microUSB is not accessible/replicated in both boards or it is somehow available (without soldering)?
(EDIT: the good thing about not having a +5V pin could be that it is possible to provide more than 5V via microUSB)
By lethe
mrq wrote:Maybe this is has an obvious answer, but I have to ask: the board you received has a ESP-12 equipped with 4MByte (32Mbit)?
(all my esp-07 has 512KByte but they're one year old, I don't know if this flash size does exists anymore)

The flash ID indicates that it's a 4MB chip. The module is an ESP-12F, afaik they all have 4MB flash (in fact all my ESP-12 & 12E have 4MB flash as well).

And I ask you a confirmation, too: the +5V pin coming from microUSB is not accessible/replicated in both boards or it is somehow available (without soldering)?
(EDIT: the good thing about not having a +5V pin could be that it is possible to provide more than 5V via microUSB)

The 5V rail is directly connected to the VCC pin. There is no 3V3 pin however (the white ESP-12 adapter boards have the same issue).
I would not recommend to supply more than 5V to the board. While it's technically possbile to do so, the efficiency of the LDO will drop significantly and without additional cooling, it might overheat.
By mrq
#37568 Thank you for the information and the advice, these technologies let us programmers work with many electronic devices but the lacking of a strong electronic background/formation often results in a big handicap (people like you is what makes this forum and the entire web the possible solution for this problem).