Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By gerardwr
haroldjclements wrote: garardwr,
I am not 100% sure that I understand. Are you saying to repeatable short the 3.3v on the TTL with the RX pin (on the TTL) (I also tried the TX pin) and see if I get gibberish in my terminal? If so, no, I don't get anything on the terminal screen. However, I did link up the RX/TX of the CP2102 (COM3) with the TX/RX of the Arduino (COM4) and I could send messages back and fourth.

If you had the communication with the arduino going my suggestion is probably not helpful. But maybe for another time.

It's a little hard to explain, English is not my native language. If you make the RX pin of the CP2102 repeatedly HIGH (connected to 3.3V) and then LOW (not connected) then the CP2102 will try to recognize these fast pulses as serial input. Ofcourse it will not recognize the "baud rate" and report jibberish in the terminal. So connect a wire from the 3.3V and jiggle it against the RX pin so that it sometimes connect and sometimes not. This works best a lower baud rates.
By haroldjclements
#4441 Guess What?

[Vender:www.ai-thinker.com Version:0.9.2.4]

ready.

OK, now the explanation: Four key points that I had wrong.

1) The TTL was being power from the PC through a USB extension. Despite this being powerful enough for the Ardunio, for some reason the CP2102 did not like it. However, it did not have any problem when echoing to itself, so I naturally assumed that it was OK, I was wrong. walt22 mentioned early on in the post that the ESP needed a good supply (which is does). I did not think that the TTL had a problem with supply.
2) I did not need the resistor resistor across the RST and GPIO0 pins. This was the last thing that I pulled, and the Ready prompt popped up...
3) I did need the the GRN on the TTL to be connected to the GND on the ESP. I had this originally, then forgot to put her back when trying all that I have - Thank you martinayotte for reminding me.
4) I required a 9600 baud rate, CR+LF selected for each command, Data Bits 8, Stop Bits 1.

I would like to thank you all for all your time, effort and patience with me. I have no doubt that I will be posting again with a stupid question.

Kind Regards,
Harold Clements
Last edited by haroldjclements on Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
By gerardwr
haroldjclements wrote:[Vender:www.ai-thinker.com Version:0.9.2.4]

ready.

Thank God!

Yes, the power! I started powering from an USBSERIAL adapter too. That worked, but I had some very "strange" effects, like unrequested reboots, firmware upload errors.

Did not believe that it had anything to do with the power…. but it did! Replaced the power by 2AA rechargeables and all problems gone!

Have fun with your now starting ESP, now the troubles can really begin ;)