Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By DonLuigi
#4714 Hi.

Just received ESP and have a problem setting it up. I hope someone might have an idea what's going on...

Anyway, I hooked ESP VCC and GND to 3.3V FTDI breakout. Also crossed TX and RX.

I fire up the terminal and connect CH_PD to VCC. I see blue led on ESP flashing, leds on FTDI flashing, but the terminal receives just a bunch of zeroes. I then send AT and get a zero (0x00) back. I send AT+RST and get two zeroes (0x00 0x00) back.

I tried changing baud rate to 9600 and 115200. I use CoolTerm with default settings (8-N-1).

So it seems communication is working in both directions, judging by flashing leds. It's just I get zeroes instead of text.

Any ideas?

Thanks
By hwiguna
DonLuigi wrote:Hi.

Just received ESP and have a problem setting it up. I hope someone might have an idea what's going on...

Anyway, I hooked ESP VCC and GND to 3.3V FTDI breakout. Also crossed TX and RX.

I fire up the terminal and connect CH_PD to VCC. I see blue led on ESP flashing, leds on FTDI flashing, but the terminal receives just a bunch of zeroes. I then send AT and get a zero (0x00) back. I send AT+RST and get two zeroes (0x00 0x00) back.

I tried changing baud rate to 9600 and 115200. I use CoolTerm with default settings (8-N-1).

So it seems communication is working in both directions, judging by flashing leds. It's just I get zeroes instead of text.

Any ideas?

Thanks

That is very odd. When I used the wrong baud rate, I received gibberish, not null characters.
Does your FTDI have 3.3V signal (I do not mean 3.3v power)?
If you like you can checkout my ESP8266 videos that coincidentally started with an FTDI.
By Warthog
#4830 Don't forget to enable CR=CR+LF when sending commands to ESP.

Try to flash a new firmware with esp8266flasher.exe
By DonLuigi
#4885 There must be something wrong with my FT232RL breakout board.

After attaching ESP to Arduino, it works. Albeit not 100%. Sometimes I get SEND OC instead of SEND OK, or some garbage here and there. I do have TX and RX connected to 5V, so that may be the cause. Or maybe it's because I use Arduino Mega with ESP on UART1 and USB on UART0 for debugging.

I will switch to proper power supply and level shifter.

Cheers